This catalogue covers the exhibition “Shinro Ohtake: Okusoku – Velocity of Memory” and contains seven illustrated booklets reflecting the exhibition composed of seven sections, one booklet of text information, one poster of his works in Setouchi, one booklet of the installation view and one DVD of his video work, all put into a needle felted bag with the cloth tag on which the title is printed.
Each illustrated booklet and booklet of the installation view differs in size and has no cover but a small tag on which its chapter title and publication data are printed, and is bound by side stitching or saddle stitching with uncut edges. The text booklet is made in a particular way, bound by adhesive binding once with provisional cover and having it removed later.
In the catalogue, images are not justified and placed in a balance by defining the proportion of its size and margins by eye, instead of using a grid system, which is the common practice for usual exhibition catalogues. We made an experiment to incorporate Ohtake’s manner, that creates a layout only by his hands and eyes by pasting paper scraps, into the layout process in DTP.
The DVD contains his new video work “Uwajima” (2013 / filmed in 1987-89), which was edited from the 8mm footage, filmed soon after he moved to Uwajima and left untouched, and newly developed for this. It shows a remarkably beautiful silent movie, that can be called as “Noise Ambient Family Album”, of which uneven development due to the aging film was kept unchanged.
There is also the regular edition without DVD, put in a stapled box, which are sold only at Takamatsu City Museum of Art.
- Booklet of text information: B5, vertical / 16p in black and white / adhesive binding
- Illustrated booklet 1: Distant Views of Memories: smaller than A5, modified, vertical / 16p in color + 6p in black and white / side stitching
- Illustrated booklet 2: Afterimages – Inner Exposures: A5, modified, vertical / 24p in color + 4p in black and white / saddle stitching
- Illustrated booklet 3: Africa – Reverberating Memories: smaller than A5, modified, vertical / 40p in color + 6p in black and white / saddle stitching
- Illustrated booklet 4: Japanese Views – Scenes From Inside And Outside: smaller than A5, modified, vertical / 32p in color + 6p in black and white / saddle stitching
- Illustrated booklet 5: Paste – Things That Are Already There And Layers of Memories: smaller than B5, modified, vertical / 32p in color + 6p in black and white / saddle stitching
- Illustrated booklet 6: Handmade books – Body and Books: smaller than B5, modified, horizontal / 20p in color + 10p in black and white / adhesive binding
- Illustrated booklet 7: Sketchbooks – Everyday Landscapes: smaller than A5, modified, horizontal / 36p in color + 10p in black and white / adhesive binding
- Poster: Works in Setouchi, 1994-2013 / B4 / in special color / 2p / half fold
- Booklet of the installation view: B5, vertical / 16p in color + 2p in black and white / saddle stitching
- DVD: Uwajima, 2013 / DVD-video / all region / NTSC / 21min / in color / silent / printed and pressed in Taiwan
Box: 265mm x 190mm x 30mm (outer size)
First edition of 1000 copies: 2,800 yen
Sold only at the Takamatsu City Museum of Art
Bag: 320mm x 225mm (outer size)
First edition of 1500 copies: 5,600 yen
Distributed by sot l’y laisse publishers / scheduled to be available around November 2013
Authored by Shinro Ohtake
Edited by Yoshitsugu Mohri [Shionoe Museum of Art, Takamatsu], Yuji Makino / Noe Kifuji / Sayaka Midori [Takamatsu City Museum of Art]
Written by Shinro Ohtake / Yoshitsugu Mohri
Translated by Christopher Stevens
Reviewed by Jiro Iio / Andrew Maerkle
Photographed by Kei Okano / Masataka Nakano / Kuniko Hirano / Kazuo Fukunaga / Shintaro Miyawaki
Video edited by Shinro Ohtake / Kazunao Kashio
Special Thanks to Take Ninagawa, Tokyo
Designed by Shin Akiyama + Wataru Kobara + Naoki Ise + Aiko Nagai + Takashi Honda / edition.nord
Printed, bound and assembled by Sun M Color
Takamatsu City Museum of Art
All rights reserved.
Made in Japan